This tool may help you determine whether you are an Australian resident for tax purposes. Use this tool to establish your status if:
- you have been living in Australia, and
- you have recently left or intend to soon leave Australia for a lengthy or indefinite period.
Your residency status for tax purposes is important because it determines your liability to pay Australian personal tax on your income. The ATO has published Taxation Ruling IT 2650 that explains when someone leaving Australia will continue to be treated as an Australian resident.
Information you will need
You will need to know:
- how long you will be away from Australia
- whether you will return to Australia during this period and, if so, how frequently
- the type(s) of accommodation that you will live in while away from Australia
- your reasons for leaving Australia and the activities that you will be undertaking while away from Australia
- whether you will retain any connections with Australia
For help with answering a question, select the Help with this page button.
This tool gives a decision based on the information you have provided.
As a result is based solely on your answers, the outcome is not binding on the ATO. Whether or not you are an Australian resident for tax purposes will be determined on the actual facts of your situation.
If your circumstances change, you should use this tool again to assess whether your tax residency status has also changed, or contact the ATO regarding your residency status on 13 28 61 between 8.00am and 6.00pm, Monday to Friday.